The Best Homemade Milkshake
I love a good milkshake recipe that is super thick and creamy. The combination of fruit and ice cream has to be one of the most heavenly treats on the planet. I can attest that this is definitely the best 3 ingredient strawberry banana milkshake with ice cream.
This post contains affiliate links. See full disclosure here.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
There are so many things to love about this milkshake recipe, but here are just a few:
- There are only 3 ingredients
- All you need is a blender
- You can make this recipe in 5 minutes
- This milkshake is extra thick and creamy
- It’s a great no-bake dessert option
This 3 ingredient milkshake is just as easy as it sounds. Here’s what you’ll need to make a homemade strawberry banana milkshake with ice cream:
Vanilla Ice Cream: Being from Texas, I love using Blue Bell vanilla ice cream, but any vanilla ice cream will do!
Frozen Strawberries: Adding frozen strawberries will give your shake a sweet strawberry flavor, beautiful pink color, and perfect thickness.
Frozen Banana: Freezing your banana will help in achieving a super thick and creamy texture when the shake is blended.
How To Make This Recipe
Prepare the ingredients: If you are freezing your own fruit, peel your banana and cut the tops of your strawberries before freezing.
Blend everything together: In a blender, add the ice cream, followed by the frozen fruit.
You can either press the milkshake/ice cream button on your blender or use the pulse button to slowly combine ingredients.
Pour and serve: Pour your strawberry banana milkshake into a glass and add desired toppings. You’re now ready to enjoy your shake!
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Peel your banana before freezing. Once a banana is frozen, it can be extremely difficult to remove the peel. Save yourself the trouble and remove the peel before freezing. I usually put my banana in a ziplock bag before tossing it in the freezer.
- Make sure your ice cream is fully frozen when adding it to the blender. Slightly melty ice cream can affect the texture of your shake.
- Use frozen fruit. Frozen fruit provides the thickest milkshake texture. You can either buy frozen fruit, or freeze your own fresh fruit before making this recipe.
- Stir if needed. If your frozen fruit and ice cream has trouble blending, don’t worry. Stop your blender completely and remove the lid. Stir ingredients with a spoon or spatula and then continue to blend.
- Add milk as needed. I usually make this recipe without adding milk in order to keep my milkshake extra thick. However, if you're having trouble getting the ingredients to blend even after stirring, add milk in small amounts until your milkshake blends smoothly.
Making Milkshakes In A Blender
Using a blender to make milkshakes is the quickest and easiest way to make these frozen treats at home. You can also read about best practices for making milkshakes in a blender in my thick banana milkshake post!
For thinner shakes: If you prefer a thinner, more liquid milkshake, try using fresh fruit instead of frozen or adding more milk until your shake has the desired texture. Blending your milkshake for longer can also help achieve a more liquidy texture.
For thicker shakes: To make a super thick shake, add lots of ice cream! The more ice cream and less liquid you add to your milkshake, the thicker it will be. Freezing any ingredients you want to add, like fruit, will provide a thicker consistency as well.
Get Free Recipes and Discount Codes Sent Right to Your Inbox!
As a subscriber of The Curly Spoon, you’ll get new recipes sent right to your inbox along with discount codes for some of our favorite products. Sign up now!
This 3 ingredient strawberry banana milkshake recipe is delicious as is. However, it can be fun to switch things up and explore new flavors. These are some of my favorite recipe variations.
- Use strawberry ice cream instead of vanilla
- Add ice, milk, and vanilla protein powder instead of ice cream to turn this into a strawberry banana smoothie.
- Add cocoa powder for a chocolate strawberry banana milkshake
- Use chocolate ice cream instead of vanilla
- Add in a spoonful of peanut butter
If you like adding lots of toppings to your milkshakes like I do, here are some topping ideas you might like:
- Whipped Cream
- Fresh strawberries
- Fresh banana slices
- Nilla wafers
- Chocolate drizzle
- Strawberry sauce
- Caramel sauce
- Crushed graham crackers
Whipped Cream For Milkshake
Making homemade whipped cream for milkshakes is super easy to do. I always prefer homemade whipped cream to canned whipped cream if I have time.
All you need is two ingredients: heavy cream and sugar/sweetener. In a large bowl, add heavy whipping cream and the sweetener of your choice. Use a hand mixer to whip the cream until it thickens and forms stiff peaks.
Add as much as you want on top of your milkshake. You can store the rest in a covered bowl in your refrigerator for a few days.
Best Strawberry Banana Milkshake (3 Ingredients)August 31, 2022
- 1 Blender
- ¾ cup frozen strawberries
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 ½ cups vanilla ice cream
- In a blender, add the vanilla ice cream, frozen strawberries, and frozen banana.
- Use the milkshake/ice cream button on your blender to mix ingredients.
- Pour milkshake into a glass, add desired toppings, and enjoy!