The Best Mint Milkshake
When it comes to ice cream flavors, I think we can all agree that both mint chocolate chip and cookies cream belong at the top of the list. This mint Oreo shake is the perfect combination of these two amazing flavors. Plus, the addition of Oreos to, well, pretty much anything, is a recipe for delicious success in my book.
This is the best mint Oreo milkshake recipe because it’s thick, creamy, and loaded with chunks of Oreo cookies. It’s also super easy to prep with just 4 ingredients and a blender.
Mint Oreo Shake vs Shamrock Shake
This milkshake goes by many names. Mint cookies and cream shake, mint Oreo milkshake, shamrock shake – whatever you call it – it’s a delicious take on a classic combination of mint and chocolate. Essentially, this shake consists of mint ice cream and is filled with crushed Oreo cookies.
Whether you’re looking for a perfect copycat shamrock shake to make for St. Patrick’s Day, or you’re like me and want to be able to enjoy mint Oreos in drink form, this recipe is for you!
This post contains affiliate links. See full disclosure here.
Here’s what you’ll need to make the perfect mint Oreo shake:
- Mint chocolate chip ice cream – Any brand of ice cream will do. If you have a particular kind you like, use that! Being from the south, I’m partial to Blue Bell, but any brand of ice cream will work great!
- Oreo cookies – For this recipe, we use classic Oreo cookies, but you can definitely get creative with your choice of Oreos. Mint Oreos, double stuffed, chocolate dipped, etc. are all great choices!
- Milk – We like to use either 2% or whole milk in our Oreo mint shake, but you can use the milk of your choice.
- Whipped cream – We topped our milkshake with homemade whipped cream but this is definitely optional. If desired, substitute with any whipped topping of your choice.
Overview: How to Make This Recipe
This mint Oreo milkshake recipe is super quick and easy. It can be whipped up in just 10 minutes with only 4 ingredients.
To prep, start by removing the cream filling from 10 Oreo cookies and set aside. Then crush an additional 10 Oreos in a bowl or plastic bag. Be sure not to crush the Oreos too much, especially if you prefer bigger cookie pieces in your mint shake.
Add the ice cream, milk, and Oreo cream filling to the blender and blend until smooth.
Next, add the crushed Oreo cookies and mix with a spoon or pulse 3-4 times in the blender. Pour into a glass and top with whipped cream and additional crushed Oreo pieces if desired.
Cake Tools You'll Need: Click To View
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Here are some tips to ensure you get the perfect Oreo mint shake:
- Don’t skip the Oreo cream. Adding the cream filling to your shake provides a creamier texture and a stronger Oreo flavor.
- Use the extra chocolate cookies as a garnish. After removing the cream from the Oreos, use the leftover chocolate cookies to sprinkle on top of your milkshake.
- Don’t overblend or overmix the Oreos. The Oreo chunks should be mixed just until they are evenly distributed throughout the milkshake.
Level Up Your Milkshake
Here’s some ideas for upgrading your mint Oreo milkshake:
- Add mint – For a shake with a bolder mint flavor, add a couple of mint leaves or a few drops of mint extract.
- Toppings – Some of our favorite milkshake toppings include crushed Oreos, whipped cream, chocolate syrup, mini M&Ms, chocolate shavings, or cherries.
- Extra Oreos – Throw in some extra Oreos for an extra chocolatey milkshake loaded with Oreo cookie chunks.
- Food coloring – Add a few drops of green food coloring for a brighter, more festive shake.
Making Homemade Whipped Cream
I love topping any milkshake with homemade whipped cream. (Of course canned whipped cream is super easy and yummy, but homemade whipped cream is my favorite thing!) It’s super quick to whip up.
All you need is a large mixing bowl, heavy whipping cream, sugar/sweetener, and a hand mixer. Pour the heavy cream into the bowl and add the sugar. Whisk on high speed with the hand mixer until the cream thickens and stiff peaks form.
Now you can add your homemade topping to your milkshake! Top with crushed Oreos and a cherry, and you’re ready to enjoy your milkshake.
Additional Garnish Ideas
I love to go all out when garnishing any dessert or treat. For these mint milkshakes, I melted chocolate chips and rolled the outer edges of the glass rim in a thin layer of melted chocolate. Then, I rolled the rim in crushed Oreos, to create a delicious cookie covered rim.
This was a fun way to dress up the milkshakes and give them a very indulgent feel. You can also use the extra melted chocolate to drizzle over the top of your milkshake.
Get Free Recipes and Discount Codes Sent Right to Your Inbox!
As a subscriber of The Curly Spoon, you’ll get new recipes sent right to your inbox along with discount codes for some of our favorite products. Sign up now!
Mint Oreo MilkshakeMarch 25, 2022
- 2 cups mint chocolate chip ice cream
- ¼ cup milk whole or 2%
- 10 Oreo cookies (cream filling only)
- 10 Oreo cookies (whole) crushed
- 3 tablespoon whipped cream for topping
- To prep, remove the cream filling from 10 Oreo cookies and set aside. Place the additional 10 whole Oreo cookies in a plastic bag and crush into small pieces using a rolling pin or kitchen mallet.
- Add the ice cream, milk, and Oreo cream filling to the blender and blend until smooth. Mix in the crushed Oreo cookies with a spoon or pulse in the blender 3-4 times.
- Pour into a glass and top with whipped cream and additional crushed Oreos if desired.
- Be sure not to overmix the crushed Oreos when adding them to the milkshake
- Extra chocolate cookies can be used as a milkshake topping