Extra Thick Milkshake Recipe
There are few things that are better than a super thick and creamy milkshake. This particular shake recipe is a simple and easy to make treat that will have you coming back for more every time. If you like bananas and ice cream, you’re going to love this extra thick banana milkshake with ice cream.
This post contains affiliate links. See full disclosure here.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Milkshakes are a perfect no-bake treat option and a classic American dessert. Here are some of my favorite things about this thick banana milkshake recipe:
- You can get a restaurant quality milkshake in the comfort of your own home whenever you want.
- It has just 5 simple ingredients
- It takes 5 minutes to make
- You can make it in a blender
- This milkshake is extra thick and creamy
Frozen Banana: Freezing the banana before adding it to the milkshake is key to achieving an extra thick texture!
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream: The extra spice in vanilla bean ice cream adds an incredible flavor to the banana shake. That said, you can also make this recipe with plain vanilla ice cream, and it will still taste AMAZING!
Cinnamon & Nutmeg: Adding these spices gives this milkshake an incredible banana spice essence that adds some pizazz to the classic banana flavor.
Pure Vanilla Extract: I always recommend using pure vanilla extract because it gives a rich flavor when added to the recipe.
How To Make A Banana Milkshake
The best part of making this recipe is how fast and easy it is! Here’s how to make a thick banana milkshake with ice cream in a blender:
- Before you begin: Peel a ripe banana and put it in the freezer for at least an hour so that it is completely frozen and ready to use in your milkshake.
- In a blender, add the ice cream, frozen banana, vanilla, and spices.
- Blend ingredients just until fully combined (avoid over blending). I like to use the pulse button to slowly mix the ingredients and maintain the thickness of the shake. Blending the ingredients for too long can make the milkshake become too runny.
- If your milkshake is too thick, add milk as needed and blend. Add the milk in small increments (a tablespoon at a time) to avoid adding too much.
- Pour your milkshake into a glass, add desired toppings, and enjoy!
Recipe Tips & Tricks
To make an extra thick banana milkshake with ice cream that tastes amazing, follow these tips and tricks:
Freeze the banana: Freezing your fruit before adding it to your milkshake will make a big difference in achieving the perfect thickness and creamy texture. I like to peel my banana before freezing because banana peels can be difficult to remove once the banana is frozen.
Use pure vanilla extract: I always recommend using pure vanilla extract over imitation vanilla because it has a much richer flavor.
Don’t over blend: Over blending your milkshake can cause the shake to become runny and lose its thickness. I like to use the pulse button to mix my ingredients slowly until fully combined. This always results in the PERFECT milkshake texture.
Don’t let your ice cream melt: keep your ice cream in the freezer until right before you scoop it into the blender. If the ice cream starts melting even a little before you add it to your shake, it can make the milkshake too runny.
Only add milk if needed: My Blendtec blender can easily blend these ingredients together without needing the addition of milk. I prefer to forgo adding milk if I can to keep my shake SUPER thick. You can adjust the thickness of your shake to the texture you prefer!
For this thick banana milkshake, I always like to top with whipped cream. However, there are so many toppings that you can add that will pair well with the banana flavor. Here are some of my favorite topping ideas for the banana shake:
- Whipped cream
- Crushed graham crackers
- Nilla wafers
- Chocolate syrup
- Fresh banana slices
There’s nothing like a classic banana milkshake, but sometimes it’s fun to change things up and try new flavors. Here are some of my favorite things to add to this banana milkshake:
- Peanut Butter
- Chocolate/Cocoa Powder
- Sea Salt & Caramel
- Dulce De Leche
How To Make Milkshakes In A Blender
Using a blender to make a milkshake is a very easy way to create your favorite milkshake flavors in minutes. The perfect milkshake technique will depend on a few different factors including the blender, temperature of ingredients, amount of liquid, etc.
For thinner shakes: If you prefer a thinner, more liquid milkshake, you might consider using fresh fruit instead of frozen or adding more milk until your shake is the right thickness. Blending your milkshake for longer can also help achieve a more liquidy texture.
For thicker shakes: To make a super thick shake, load it up with ice cream! The more ice cream and less liquid you add to your milkshake, the thicker it will be. Freezing the other ingredients you want to add, like fruit, will provide a thicker consistency as well.
Get Free Recipes and Discount Codes Sent Right to Your Inbox!
As a subscriber of The Curly Spoon, you’ll get new recipes sent right to your inbox along with discount codes for some of our favorite products. Sign up now!
Extra Thick Banana Milkshake With Ice CreamAugust 18, 2022
- Ice Cream Scoop
- 1 ½ cups vanilla bean ice cream
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 banana frozen
- In a blender, add the ice cream, frozen banana, spices, and vanilla.
- Use the pulse button on the blender to slowly mix ingredients. Hold down the button for a few seconds at a time. Repeat just until fully combined.
- Pour the milkshake into a large glass and top with desired toppings. Enjoy!