Copycat Smoothie King Recipe: Pineapple Surf
This pineapple surf copycat smoothie king recipe is super easy to make and tastes just like the real thing.
Save or Share This Recipe
You might also like Spinach and Berry Smoothie, Breakfast/Brunch Fruit Platter, and Strawberry Popsicles.
The Best Pineapple and Strawberry Smoothie
For all of you Smoothie King enthusiasts out there, this Smoothie King Pineapple Surf copycat recipe is a huge game changer! With this recipe, you can enjoy the sweet refreshing taste of a Pineapple Surf smoothie in just 5 minutes without even leaving your house (and for a fraction of the cost).
I absolutely love this copycat recipe because it literally tastes EXACTLY like the smoothie you’d get from the restaurant. You can also easily customize it any way you’d like with ingredient swaps and add-ins. Whether you're wanting a quick breakfast or brunch or just a sweet treat, this smoothie is what you need!
What Is a Pineapple Surf Smoothie?
If you aren’t familiar with this particular smoothie, it is the perfect blend of strawberries and pineapple with a little bit of fruit juice, sweetener, and protein powder. The combination of tropical pineapple and sweet summer strawberries makes for a classic smoothie that everyone can enjoy.
This smoothie recipe is packed with whey protein along with a variety of vitamins and minerals, making it a great on-the-go snack or meal that is super tasty and nutritious. Another great thing about this Pineapple Surf copycat is that you can use whatever fruit you have on hand – you can easily throw some fresh strawberries or canned pineapple chunks in the freezer to use in your smoothie.
This post contains affiliate links. See full disclosure here.
Apple Juice VS Orange Juice
If you’ve been a fan of Smoothie King’s Pineapple Surf smoothie for as long as I have, you may have noticed that this recipe got a makeover a while back when they switched from using orange juice to a kiwi apple juice blend. You can decide which flavor of juice you prefer in your copycat recipe. Either way you make it, this is hands down the best smoothie on the menu.
I really enjoy making this smoothie the traditional way (with orange juice) because the citrus adds a bit more tartness. Using apple juice or an apple juice blend will make your smoothie taste slightly sweeter.
Although Smoothie King uses a kiwi apple juice blend in their smoothie, I haven’t found any grocery stores that sell it locally. That being said, I tested this copycat recipe with plain apple juice and the flavor was still spot on!
Ingredients & Substitutions
The great thing about this pineapple surf copycat recipe is that it’s made with just 5 simple ingredients, many of which can easily be swapped out if desired. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Strawberries - The quickest option is to buy frozen strawberries, however, if you have fresh strawberries on hand you can easily freeze them before you are ready to make your smoothie.
- Pineapple chunks - Your pineapple should be frozen as well. Like the strawberries, you can purchase frozen pineapple chunks or freeze them yourself.
- Fruit juice - Apple juice and orange juice are both great options for the perfect pineapple surf copycat smoothie. Other flavors of juice may work in this recipe, however, they may alter the taste of the smoothie.
- Vanilla protein powder - I recommend using vanilla whey protein powder because it has more of a neutral flavor (Smoothie King uses a dairy whey blend). You can substitute your preferred protein powder if desired, just keep in mind that it may affect the flavor.
- Sweetener (optional) - There are a variety of sweeteners that work very well in this copycat recipe without sacrificing flavor – white granulated sugar, turbinado sugar, or brown sugar are all good options. Sugar-free alternatives such as Splenda or monk fruit also work well.
The sweetener in this recipe is optional and can be added in if you want a sweeter tasting smoothie. The fruit and the juice add just the right amount of sweetness for me, so I usually opt to leave out the extra sweetener.
How To Make This Recipe
This copycat smoothie king recipe can be whipped up in just a few minutes using a blender or food processor. Follow these steps for the best pineapple surf smoothie.
Freeze the fruit - If you want to use fresh fruit for your smoothie, make sure you let it freeze for a couple of hours beforehand or freeze it overnight. I like to buy my strawberries and pineapple chunks already frozen so they are already ready to use.
Blend it all together - Add the strawberries, pineapple, protein powder, and sweetener (if desired) to the blender.
Add the fruit juice and blend everything together until it's smooth with no lumps.
Garnish and serve - If you're making this smoothie for a party or even if you're just feeling fancy, you can garnish your smoothie glass with fresh strawberries and/ or pineapple before serving.
Smoothie Tools You Need: Click To View
For this recipe, you'll need a few simple tools including a blender and a few optional items to garnish your smoothie. We've included some of our favorites below. Click the images to view on amazon.
Tips & Tricks
- Use frozen fruit - This copycat smoothie King recipe uses frozen fruit so no ice cubes are required. This keeps the consistency thick and smooth instead of icey.
- Use cold fruit juice - Using cold juice in your smoothie will help keep the frozen fruit from thawing too quickly and will keep your smoothie cold for longer.
- Save it for later - You can easily store leftovers in the freezer until you are ready to enjoy your smoothie again. Take it out of the freezer and let it thaw for about 5 minutes. Then, blend it in the blender until smooth.
Smoothie Add-In Ideas
Just like when you order from Smoothie King, you can customize your copycat Pineapple Surf smoothie with any of your favorite add-ins. Here are some great add-in ideas for you to try:
- Apple pineapple juice
- Papaya juice
- Coconut water
- Greek nonfat yogurt
- Vanilla frozen yogurt
- Nonfat milk
Fruits & Vegetables
- Tart cherries
Get Free Recipes and Discount Codes Sent Right to Your Inbox!
As a subscriber of The Curly Spoon, you’ll get new recipes sent right to your inbox along with discount codes for some of our favorite products. Sign up now!
Copycat Smoothie King Recipe: Pineapple SurfMay 3, 2022
- Blender/Food Processor
- 1 cup strawberries frozen
- ½ cup pineapple chunks frozen
- ½ cup apple or orange juice
- 2 tablespoon vanilla protein powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar optional
- Add the strawberries, pineapple, fruit juice, protein powder, and sugar to the blender. Blend until smooth.
- Garnish with fresh fruit (if desired) and serve immediately.
- Using cold juice will help keep the frozen fruit from thawing too quickly
- You can use your choice of vanilla protein powder in this recipe
Sarachia Comesin says
This is my favorite smoothie from smoothie king and it tastes just like the real thing. I made mine with orange juice and it was perfect.
So happy I found your blog, sometimes I get sick of my own smoothie creations and need other smoothies to satisfy my soul.
Smoothies are my favorite summer meals in the morning. I just loved your king recipe, and my picky eater kids loved it, so will be making it again soon, thanks!