Easy Brownies With Frosting
These easy brownies with frosting are unlike any other.
Save or Share This Recipe
You might also like Homemade Chocolate Cake, Magic Brownie Bars, and How To Make Box Brownies Better.
Classic Frosted Brownies
Chocolate brownies are one of the most popular and iconic desserts out there. That said, you’ve probably seen tons of recipes that claim to be the best brownies you’ll ever try. Now, I won’t try and convince you to compare these brownies to others you’ve had, but easy brownies with frosting are unlike any other.
Not only are these brownies delicious, but they are super easy to make. All you need is a large mixing bowl, a hand mixer or stand mixer, and a few simple ingredients.This recipe will show you how to make brownies from scratch the right way.
This post contains affiliate links. See full disclosure here.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
We wanted to give all the credit to our amazing mom, who is one of the greatest bakers the world has ever known. This homemade brownie recipe came from her, and has been a showstopper for as long as I can remember.
In contrast to many other brownies, these easy brownies with chocolate frosting have a slightly fluffier texture. The taste and textures create a deliciously addicting combination. Here are a few more reasons this will be your new go-to brownie recipe:
- From start to finish this recipe takes less than an hour
- It’s made with only 9 ingredients (for the brownies and the frosting)
- It makes enough to feed a crowd
- It’s the perfect dessert for chocolate lovers
Granulated sugar: Regular granulated sugar provides the right taste and texture for this brownie recipe.
Salted butter: I like to use salted butter in these brownies because it enhances the chocolatey flavor! If you use unsalted butter, I recommend adding an extra pinch of salt to the batter.
Pure vanilla extract: The vanilla extract adds another layer of flavor to the brownies. I highly recommend using pure vanilla extract (rather than imitation vanilla) for best results.
Unsweetened cocoa powder: Use 100% unsweetened cocoa powder (I like Hershey’s brand) to make both the homemade brownies and the chocolate frosting.
Eggs: Eggs provide structure in baking, and will help the brownies have the right texture.
Whole wheat flour: In many cases, we prefer to use whole wheat flour in our baked goods because it adds an incredible flavor to any cake, cookie, bread, etc. We grind our own whole wheat flour, but you can also purchase it at your local grocery store.
If needed, you can substitute the whole wheat flour with all-purpose flour. We do recommend whole wheat flour for achieving the best flavor.
Salt: Salt is a very important element in these brownies. It brings out the sweetness and accentuates other flavors.
Powdered sugar: This is a key ingredient for most frosting recipes, and the same goes for chocolate frosting for brownies.
Evaporated Milk: The evaporated milk gives the chocolate frosting a smooth velvety consistency. You can add it as needed to make your frosting the right texture and thickness.
How To Make This Recipe
Chocolate frosted brownies are one of the simplest desserts to make. Follow these simple steps for perfect frosted brownies.
Prepare the Ingredients: Remove the eggs, and butter from the refrigerator so they have some time to become room temperature. If you need to soften butter quickly, THIS POST will tell you a few easy ways to do so.
Preheat your oven to 350°F. Then, grease an 18”x13” sheet pan with non-stick cooking spray.
Combine the ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, mix together the sugar, butter, vanilla, and cocoa powder. Then, beat in the eggs using the paddle attachment to the stand mixer.
With the mixer on low speed, add in the sifted flour and salt. Mix until fully combined, scraping the sides of the bowl down as needed.
Pour the batter onto the greased baking sheet. Use a rubber spatula to evenly spread the batter across the sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes and test with a toothpick before taking them out of the oven. Let the brownies cool completely before frosting.
Chocolate Frosting For Brownies
This rich and creamy chocolate frosting is probably the best part of these brownies! It only takes a few minutes to whip up this amazing 4-ingredient chocolate brownie frosting.
Sift the cocoa and powdered sugar: Sifting the powdered sugar and cocoa powder will help to eliminate clumps in frosting.
Combine the ingredients: Using a hand or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter, powdered sugar, and cocoa powder. Next, add the evaporated milk and beat until the frosting is a smooth, velvet consistency.
Frost and serve: Once the brownies are completely cooled, use a rubber spatula to spread the frosting evenly across the top. Cut them into squares and serve!
Tips And Tricks
There are a few baking tips that will ensure that your easy brownies with chocolate frosting turn out perfectly. Follow the steps below for best results.
- Measure your flour using the spoon and level method. Start by fluffing your flour with a spoon to make sure it’s not packed down. Spoon the flour into your measuring cup until it’s full and then level off the top with the back of a knife. Avoid shaking or tapping the measuring cup to even the top as this will pack down the flour and could result in too much flour.
- Use the toothpick to test for doneness. Before taking your brownies out of the oven, insert a toothpick into the center to see of they are done baking. The brownies are done if the toothpick comes out “clean” – generally there will be a small amount of moist crumbs stuck to it.
If the toothpick comes out with liquid batter on it, they need more time in the oven. If you wait for the toothpick to come out of the brownies completely clean (with no crumbs), your brownies may be overdone and slightly dry.
- Cool the brownies before frosting. Allow the brownies to cool completely before frosting them (no matter how tempting it may be!). If you frost them while they are still warm, it will melt your frosting and it will no longer be thick and creamy. You can put the brownies in the fridge to cool if you want to speed up the process.
We often get the question, “How do you store brownies with frosting?” For short term storage, you can store your brownies in a room temperature space, but you’ll want to make sure they are covered so they don’t dry out. Room temperature brownie storage is best for 3-4 days.
For long term storage, you can put the chocolate frosted brownies in the freezer in a sealed airtight container. When you’re ready to enjoy them again, just take them out and let them thaw at room temperature. Brownies stored in the freezer can last up to a few months.
Get Free Recipes and Discount Codes Sent Right to Your Inbox!
As a subscriber of The Curly Spoon, you’ll get new recipes sent right to your inbox along with discount codes for some of our favorite products. Sign up now!
Easy Brownies With FrostingAugust 4, 2021
- Half Sheet Pan 18"x13"
- Frosting Knife
FOR THE BROWNIES
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks) softened
- 2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 4 eggs
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour substitute all-purpose flour if desired
- ½ teaspoon salt
FOR THE FROSTING
- 1⅔ cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup butter (1 stick) softened
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup evaporated milk
FOR THE BROWNIES
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease an 18×13 inch sheet pan. (I recommend the Nordic Ware Baker’s Half Sheet.)
- In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, butter, vanilla, and cocoa. Then, beat in the eggs.
- With the mixer on low speed, add in the sifted flour and salt. Mix until fully combined, scraping the sides down as needed.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan and bake for 20-25 minutes. Let them cool completely before frosting.
FOR THE FROSTING
- In a large bowl, mix together the powdered sugar, softened butter, evaporated milk, and cocoa. Beat with mixer until smooth.
- Once the brownies are completely cooled, add a thick and even layer of frosting on top of the brownies.
Oh my chocolatey goodness these brownies are perfect! Rich and decadent, yet sweet and creamy!
So perfect and fudgy!
these brownies are so creamy and soft. i really love that chocolate glaze on top too
The perfect indulgence! Easy to whip up and they're always a hit!
Wow, these chocolate bites are amazing! Thanks for this awesome recipe!
what is a cube of butter?
It's one stick of butter or 1/2 cup 🙂