A Keto Chicken Soup Recipe With a Kick
This jalapeño popper chicken soup recipe is one of my favorite creations. It packs in all the spice and creaminess of a jalapeño popper in every bite. One of the things I love about this keto chicken soup recipe is that not only is it great to enjoy during the fall and winter months, but I also love making it in the summer when I can use fresh jalapeños from my garden.
Another great thing about this jalapeño popper chicken soup is that the level of heat can easily be modified. I personally like mine with a lot of kick but it can definitely be toned down for a more subtle flavor.
I have found that a lot of recipes out there call for seeded jalapeños. However, for this recipe, I do not remove the seeds from the jalapeños because that is where the majority of the heat comes from. (Like I said, I like my soup with a lot of kick!)
If you want a mild amount of spice in your jalapeño popper chicken soup then I would recommend removing the seeds. For a medium level of heat, remove half the seeds. If you’re like me and love a lot of spice, leave all the seeds in your jalapeños.
This post contains affiliate links. See full disclosure here.
Recipe Tips & Tricks
- Sauté the peppers. This takes a little more time and preparation but it’s a very important step. Sautéing the peppers helps bring out a lot of the flavor and gives them the perfect texture for the soup.
- Add dairy to cut the heat. If the soup is too spicy, add milk or additional heavy cream in small amounts until the desired flavor is reached. Dairy helps cut back on the heat.
- Precook the chicken. There are a lot of options for pre-cooking the chicken for your soup. I personally like to use seasoned grilled chicken for this recipe but it requires a bit more planning. Boiling or cooking your chicken in an instant pot are quicker cooking options that work great too.
Get Free Recipes and Discount Codes Sent Right to Your Inbox!
As a subscriber of The Curly Spoon, you’ll get new recipes sent right to your inbox along with discount codes for some of our favorite products. Sign up now!
Jalapeño Popper Chicken SoupSeptember 15, 2021
- Cutting Board
- Wooden Spoon
- 4 chicken breasts (shredded or cubed) cooked
- 3 medium jalapeños diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 green onions diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2½ cups cheddar cheese shredded
- In a medium stockpot, add the butter, jalapeños, green onions, and garlic. Sauté on medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cream, broth, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and spices and reduce to low heat. Allow the cheese and cream cheese to melt, stirring occasionally until fully combined.
- Add the shredded chicken and then cover and let simmer on low heat for 6-8 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
- You can cook the chicken however you choose -- grill, boil, instant pot, crockpot, etc.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and fresh diced green onions or jalapeños
- For less spice, remove the seeds from the jalapeños before sautéeing them